Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Windows, screens, flies, and pest control

I'd like to offer a brief, un-solicited endorsement for my favorite new product when it comes to the topic of pest control. But first, a bit of cultural education for my overseas readers to help set the stage. One of the funny things about homes in New Zealand (especially older homes; not sure about the new ones) is that none of the windows have screens in them. Now, for those of you who, like I once did, live in a climate in America in which the windows remain closed for 360 days out of every year due to the presence of heat or air conditioning, it may seem like a non-issue that windows can be screen-less. But, unfortunately, neither heat nor air conditioning exist in most homes in New Zealand, which means that come summer, the windows are open all the time. (Actually, if you are a true New Zealander, the windows remain open all year round, regardless of the temperature outside. But that's a whole different topic for a whole different post. In our house, the windows stay closed during the winter). Anyways, open windows during the summer (sans screens) mean only one thing: the presence of a myriad of flies and other annoying bugs. Constantly. Why there are no screens in the windows here, I have no idea. Maybe I should go into business here selling screens for windows. I bet I could make a killing. Especially if I find all the North Americans in the country and target my business toward them. Anyways, I've been driven crazy by the flies for the last 3 summers we've been here. Until about 9 hours ago, when Aaron bought and installed this cool thing on our wall that squirts out an insect deterrent about every 7 minutes or so. Although the house isn't completely bug-less at present, I've noticed a great improvement already. Give it a couple more days, and I'm hoping we could be borderline bug-free around here. I think that every home in New Zealand requires one of these. Maybe my next business will be promoting the new-found Robocan.

All that to say, if you don't own a Robocan and if you're frustrated by the endless number of flies in your home, head down to your local Mitre 10, and buy one today.

2 comments:

Esther Irwin said...

yep, I got one of those and Terry griped about all the poison that we were breathing in, so I didn't use it anymore. But it worked well while it lasted. I got a package of flyswatters (3 for $2) and they work pretty good, too. Especially when you want to get rid of your aggro. :)

Unknown said...

The place I'm housesitting has one... great, except for just before open homes on Sundays when we have to vacuum all the dead flies up which is kind of nasty.