Saturday, November 08, 2008

Election Night in NZ

Today I cast my ballot for a second time this year. It was strange, though fun, to vote in another country. It's been interesting watching how different it is from America. The whole process from the actual voting experience to watching on TV the events at each party headquarters and everything in between is much more 'toned down', laid back, relaxed, and casual compared to America. Though there's much I still don't understand about NZ politics, it's still interesting to sit and watch on the news where each party is at as the polls come in; it's definitely part of my cultural initiation into NZ. With that said, back to the other room to watch the latest results coming in....

3 comments:

sample said...

I can't imagine what it must be like to vote in another country....! What a wild experience.

Esther Irwin said...

Tauranga had a big upset! Who will the media write about now that Winston is gone?

Much different than the US elections. Much shorter cam-pain-s and no one knows the date of the election until the PM calls it. Shame she didn't have the time to put the referendums on the same ballot so it would save us heaps of money.

I must say, Helen's resignation of leader of Labour was a surprise for me, but makes sense. She was looking pretty tired and not at all like her cam-pain photo...Oh! that's right - it was a photo from about 5 terms back and airbrushed. She did have a stellar career for 27 years and accomplished heaps. Now if we can just overturn most of those, we can go back to living right in this country.

I'd better quit whilst I'm ahead..

marciisaacs said...

Wow...what a neat experience!