Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Missing Home

Maybe it's the hormones; maybe it's the holidays approaching. Maybe it's both. Probably is. But whatever the reason, I've found my thoughts wandering towards home a lot recently: the cool, crisp fall air; Thanksgiving preparations in full swing; family and friends gathering together; and of course the other myriad of memories and thoughts that follow such a mental trail. The food and the shopping....favorite restaurants and holiday treats.....; I'll quit now while I'm ahead.

I do genuinely enjoy living here; I am settled and an peace with being here and I am content. I couldn't be more convinced that we are in the right place. There are things about New Zealand that I really am starting to love, and my heart is at rest here. But at the end of the day, it still isn't home; I am still a foreigner, and I still deeply love and miss my homeland. I am at peace with missing home, but sometimes I still do. On the bright side, I'm looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving (though we're celebrating on Saturday).....I think it will be good for my heart.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm glad you're celebrating! Maybe that'll help. I admire your attitude, even when you feel down. I hope your Thanksgiving celebration is perfect and that you enjoy making new memories for your daughter.

Esther Irwin said...

We've been here 12 years and there is still stuff we miss, altho less and less each passing year. I do miss cheap turkeys...and french fried onions in a can. And the Oakland Raiders!! Football. not soccer, football!

But this is home now and it feels like home. Took several years to get that feeling, but it comes.

It's good to be honest about your feelings. It is what it is. I understand your homesickness. But I wouldn't have missed the experiences of the last 12 years for anything.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think of New Zealand as home in just about every way, accept when it came to Thanksgiving and especially Christmas. So, don't be suprised if that feeling around the holidays never fades. But I found it always made me realize what these are holidays are really about. But I would also paint fake snow on my windows and hang blankets over my windows in the evening so I could enjoy the lights on my christmas tree! :) Have a great Thanksgiving and preparation for Christmas!!! Love to you alll!

Esther Irwin said...

So how did the cranberry muffins turn out? Any pictures?