Sunday, September 07, 2008

Girl's day out, girl's night in

Aaron was in Wellington for the weekend, speaking at a youth camp, so Taylor and I had lots of special time together the last couple days. Yesterday I decided to forgo our usual Saturday grocery shopping routine, favoring a picnic at the park instead. It was a beautiful day, perfect for enjoying a good play (and lunch!) outside. Then last night, I decided to invite the girls from our community over to our place for "girl's night". We had a great time! It was a full house ~ between the THOP interns and staff and also the YWAM DTS students and staff, I think we ended up with about 20 or 25 girls here. But it was oh so much fun! The DTS just started last week, so it was really fun to meet those girls and get to know them a bit more. They're a great bunch; it's such a privilege having them here and having the opportunity to do the house of prayer alongside a DTS. It's a great combination! And Taylor had a blast last night, too. Many of those girls are her friends, too, in a "young adult befriends a pre-schooler" sort-of-way. I think she enjoyed the night just as much as (more than?) the rest of us!

One thing that I learned very early on in our marriage is that when Aaron goes away, it's important for me to make it a "positive" time for myself (and now Taylor) rather than a "negative" time. If he can go away knowing that I (we) are having fun and enjoying ourselves (rather than being miserable because he's gone), then it frees him to go and do what he is called to do without worrying about us. So, especially now with Taylor, I like to try to plan some special things to do while he's gone that we don't usually do when he's home. Like having a girl's night.

And now Aaron is home, which is the best part of the whole weekend!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I love what you said about having a positive attitude when Aaron has to go out of town. That makes or breaks a lot of situations in a marriage (or any relationship, really). Having a positive attitude, even if you might not want to, makes such a big difference! Good for you!

I know that does make it easier for Aaron to focus on what he's called to do instead of worrying about how you're doing back home.

You're a good wifey. :-)