Friday, April 18, 2008

Re-entry

Scientists use the term to describe a spacecraft's return from outer space into the earth's atmosphere. I think it also to be an appropriate term to describe the 24-48 hour period in which I experience a notable transition in my circumstance or environment. I've learned this about myself ~ I am slow to adapt. Even insignificant change ~ like, for example ~ returning home after being overseas for a week ~ is enough to cause me to feel slightly disoriented, overwhelmed, and unsettled. It kinda feels like an emotional and mental "no man's land", in which the routine of vacation is past, the realities of normal life have suddenly arrived, but the normal routines which support those realities aren't yet re-established. Usually within a day or two, I've found my feet again and am back to normal, but it always feels a bit strange in the waiting. Such is my life today.

No comments: