Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Living off the land

One of the great things about this time of year in New Zealand ~ especially Tauranga ~ is the abundance of fresh fruit that abounds in our and our neighbor's back yards. Currently in our kitchen I have four grocery bags full of fresh fruit ~ apples (picked by a friend from an orchard in Hawke's Bay), fijoas, kiwifruit, and avocados (the latter 3 from our/a neighbor's back yard). Some days I open up our pantry and begin to think that we could easily eat nothing but fruit and be completely satisfied for weeks on end. Okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean. On a more realistic note, I was thinking today that it's probably about time to whip up a small batch of apple butter. After all, I need to find something to do with the bag of apples in our pantry!

2 comments:

Steve Wanless said...

Hey, Can either send me an email or make a post with the recipe to make apple butter? I made some biscuits the other day and was telling Steve how nice they are with apple butter and he didn't know what it was. I'd love to make some! Thanks!! Trena

Jaime said...

Mmmmm, everything sounds yummy! And, being fresh probably makes it ten times better, too!

I'd love your recipe for apple butter, too!