Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Remembering

Yesterday marked 3 years since we moved to New Zealand. As I think back to those first few days, weeks, and months here in our new home, I realize just how far I/we have come and how kind God has been to me/us. It sure hasn't been an easy road; it's had its ups and its downs, but we've made it this far, and it was worth it.

Certain circumstances in the last few days have caused me to recall my own personal journey and prophetic history that has brought me to the place where I am now. And whenever the Lord reminds me of my call to New Zealand, I find that it gives me fresh courage every single time. It doesn't matter how many times I've remembered or told the story of the sheep and the snakes and that "perfect" place that I "want to go to someday"; every single time I feel the sovereignty and perfect leadership of God over my life, and it makes my heart rest. (Long-time readers of this blog may remember that story. I'll gladly tell it again for those who have no idea what I'm talking about). Likewise, it doesn't matter how many times I've remembered or told the story of the pharmaceutical salesman from Bethlehem, Tauranga on his way to Paris, France who ran into Aaron in the middle of Oak Park Mall in Overland Park, KS and asked (yea, prophesied) if it was time for us to return to NZ to build the house of the Lord.....the day after Aaron and I talked about it and laid it before the Lord and asked Him to speak. Every single time I feel the sovereignty and perfect leadership of God over my life, and it makes my heart rest.

In fact, the real reason I love telling those stories isn't for the sake of communicating my history in God to whoever happens to be listening. It's because as I hear myself tell the story, I gain courage all over again to say yes to God and to say yes to our season here in New Zealand. It makes me fall in love with Him all over again, because I encounter yet again His kindness and goodness and His amazing care for us that He knows every detail and chooses to speak in the most profound ways. I realize yet again that He knows me, He knows my name and my future and He knows the best ways to speak to my heart that will not only get my attention, but also capture my affection. I realize yet again how good He is and how worthy He is of my trust.

And so here we are, on the brink of our 4th year in this land, and I carry with me every ounce of courage He has graciously given in every season leading up to this one. The road ahead may not be easy; it will have its ups and its downs, but I know we will make it, and it will be worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristi,
Oh so encouraging to know that if God did it for you and your family that he can do it for anyone. Thank you for the reminder that He will not forget us and let us fall off the edge when thin air is all we can see for our next step.
Do you have a reference for when you told the story of "the sheep and the snakes" the first time on your blog? Some might like to go there and read all about it (even if some of us know the story intimately).
D

Esther Irwin said...

And we are so glad you followed the Lord's lead in coming to NZ and starting THOP!! You have no idea..