Thursday, January 29, 2009

Speaking of sovereignty...

Seeing as how it seems to be the time for recalling and telling the stories of the prophetic journey that has brought us thus far, I really should do the other story justice and tell the complete version of it. This one has sovereignty written all over it in such mind-blowing ways, some days I wonder how it's even possible that it happened. I always tell people, though, that the reason God gave us such a clear, obvious sign was not because we're "so special", but rather because He knows how weak my frame is, how prone I am to discouragement, and how big of a sign I would need to keep me going on the tough days.

The background info is that for a few weeks previous to this story, Aaron and I had been discussing the idea of moving to New Zealand. To be honest, I had greeted the prospect with little positivity, and being the *Godly*, *submissive* wife that I am, I was being a bit stubborn, and the topic had become cause for a bit of tension between us. On a Wednesday night, we talked and agreed that we wouldn't speak of the possibility of moving again, until God clearly spoke. Thursday morning dawned, and I went to my weekly mom's group, while Aaron took a friend (who was visiting from New Zealand at the time) to the mall so he could buy some jeans and various things for his family. Important point #1: Aaron hates the mall. Goes once a year if we're lucky. Doesn't go near the mall for anything, except the goodwill of his heart to help his Kiwi friend. So he and his friend are standing in the jeans department of Dillard's, and Aaron hears a voice call out to him, a voice with a Kiwi accent. The conversation goes something like this:

Man: "Aaron Walsh?"
Aaron: Yes?
Man: My name is so-and-so. I heard you speak at a conference one time, and it changed my life. I'm a pharmaceutical salesmen from Bethlehem, Tauranga. I'm on my way to Paris, France. I'm in Kansas City for 12 hours and needed some stuff from the mall, so I took a bus and a taxi to get here......young man, isn't it time you returned to the land (of NZ) to build the house of the Lord?
Aaron: speechless.

Important point #2: No one flies through Kansas City on their way from New Zealand to Paris. It's not a "hub city" of any airline. Absolutely ridiculous.

Important point #3: This mall is at least 45 minutes from the airport....and there is a mall just up the road from the airport. Why this man went all the way to Overland Park is beyond me.

And of course there's the obvious "impossibility" that this man would have "just happened" to be in the same department of the same store as Aaron and his friend at the exact same time. I mean, can we say, "Impossible"?! I think it's a profound statement of the obvious when I say that only God could have ordained that one; He was obviously speaking.

So Aaron came home that day an told me the story, and at that time in my heart, I said yes. Although I've admittedly kicked and screamed my share between then and now, something in my heart surrendered at that moment. I knew that God had spoken. And who can argue with that?!

And so on the days when I'm prone to argue, the Lord in His kindness reminds me of this story, and as Job I "put my hand to my mouth, put my mouth to the dust, and I bow down". And I say yes, all over again.

No comments: