Friday, January 16, 2009

Thinking....

Although I've felt pretty good today, I've had enough bad days this pregnancy that have got me thinking a lot recently about moms who are chronically ill. On the days that I feel pretty lousy, I can't help but to think of moms who have it way, way worse than a bit of passing fatigue or nausea.

Like, take for example, my friend Karli. I don't know Karli extremely well, but I know her well enough to know that she lives every single day in extreme chronic pain, yet at the same time she continually lays her life down as a wife and a mom of an almost 2-yr old boy. All with a remarkable attitude. Amazing.

Closer to home are thoughts of my own mom. Readers of this blog may or may not know that my mom fought breast cancer for 4 1/2 years when I was a child, and went to be with Jesus when she was 41. I was 9. Because I lived with her every day of my life until then, I saw and experienced firsthand the dedication and selflessness that characterized her short life. She homeschooled my brother and I (often from her bedside), cooked our family a homemade dinner every night, taught us to know and love Jesus, taught me how to cook and how to sew, went all-out for birthdays and holidays to create memories and traditions that would never be forgotten, and I could go on and on. Of course, as a child I never understood the amount of pain she lived in every day as she did all these things, but I began to understand more and more as I grew older. Now that I'm a mom myself, I begin to understand on a whole new level and appreciate all the more who she was and all she did for our family. She was truly a remarkable woman.

These women and the many like them are my heroes. Though they may not realize it, they have painted a picture with their lives of true meekness, humility, and servanthood for many to emulate. I have much to learn from these ones: how to serve even when it hurts. How to honor others' needs above my own. How to give in secret when no one is watching ~ or when no one realizes the extent of sacrifice required to give. I'm grateful for incredible comerades who provoke me to continue on in this journey called 'laying down your life'. Good thing there's lots of grace from Heaven to help along the way.

1 comment:

marciisaacs said...

I am similar to you in the sense that my mom, to me, is the most selfless, servant-hearted woman there is. Two years ago she broke her leg...a week later she fell and broke her back. While caring for her over that period of recovery, I was so thankful for her. Here I was taking care of the woman who had humbly and selflessly served years of caring and molding my life. How thankful I was to be able to care of her as she took care of me so many times. Thanks for sharing that with us, Kristi.