Saturday, June 03, 2006

Frustrations of life in New Zealand

It's amazing how it's the unexpected, little things that can often be the most difficult parts of moving to and living in a different country. I thought I had a pretty good idea before I came the things that I would find most difficult to deal with; most annoying. After all, I did live here for three months last year and thought I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into. But one thing evaded my predictions. One seemingly insignificant thing, but rest assured - it is by far the most annoying, frustrating part of living here so far. Maybe it's because I wasn't mentally prepared for it, and it has taken me by surprise. What is it? Condensation. Yes, you heard me right. Condensation. You see, none of the windows here are double-glazed, and with no central heating in the house, there is condensation on the windows every morning. Not a big deal? Oh, yes. It is a big deal to this American who has never before dealt with such a nuisance in her life. You see, not only does the condensation collect on the windows, but every few days, it also collects in massive puddles on the window sill. Like, puddles big enough to soak a hand towel through. So then, not only is there condensation on the window and puddles of water on the window sill, but (this is the bad part....) if you leave it there, the windows and/or curtains get moldy. So, logic concludes that it's in one's best interest to get rid of the puddles of water and condensation on the windows. Easier said than done. Either you have to take a towel and wipe down every window in your house every morning, or you have to open the windows for half the day to let them dry. Which (in my short, limited experience) doesn't even seem to dry them well. So then, not only do you have windows that are still wet, but it's also absolutely freezing in the house. Remember, it's winter here. And for those who know me well, you know that I don't cope well with being cold. At all. I hate being cold. Grrr. To be honest, I must confess that most days I opt for a certain element of warmth in the house, close the windows (or, don't open them in the first place), and settle for condensation on the windows. It's situations like these that make me really long for the convenience, comfort, and ease of American life - and make me appreciate and love America all the more. Oh, what I would give for central heat right now.....

So, my "perspective-gaining" question to myself, in response to the said frustration? If I can't cope with living in New Zealand in the middle of winter, how am I going to cope with the end of the age?? Hmmm. That's a good question.

Now that's called perspective.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

just keep saying this to yourself, Kristi... there's no snakes, like home... there's no snakes, like home... if it helps, put on some red shoes and click your heels together.
Esther

Anonymous said...

Actually, just a suggestion... use electric heaters instead of gas heaters b/c gas heaters dispense huge quantities of moisture into the air. we have timers on our electric heaters and set them to start on low around 4pm and 5am so it takes the chill off the air and cuts down on the condensation. what's the worst is the cold toilet seat first thing in the morning.

a remedy for the mould is a few drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle of water. also, we have a dehumidifier going which helps a lot. be sure to keep your clothes closet dry b/c the mould can ruin your clothes. put on extra clothes to keep warm, especially woolen socks. i should make you a quilt to keep warm. Terry keeps his hat on sometimes to keep the body warmth in. fix a cuppa and sit around the heater; you'll be right. summer will soon be here. Esther

Kelsey Bohlender said...

No condensation in Kansas City, but neither do we have kiwi trees or avocadoes. In the dead of winter I pay $1.50 for an avocado! Also, just remind yourself of the beautiful Grandview city skyline and Missouri beaches. If that doesn't help, just picture yourself at the Bannister WalMart (termed affectionately by our boys as the "WalMart in the hood"). Some things you just can't get there in New Zealand : )

Marci Lewellen said...

uhhh... it is stuff like that that makes me happy to soon have kids that are old enough to do chores :)

Anonymous said...

at the risk of hogging this thread, i just want to add that we in New Zealand are grateful for the work you and Aaron are doing at THOP. maybe this is one of those momentary light afflictions that in later years will seem lighter than it does now. Thank you guys for making the sacrifice and coming to this land to sow into us what you have learned and lived at IHOP.

Anonymous said...

I suppose this won't go down well, but the first thing I thought in reading of your moisture travils was "where is your pioneer spirit?"

Of the 16 winters I spent in Wichita, KS, I can assure you they were all far, far worse than any of the last 10 winters I've spent in New Zealand.

Usually there are about two weeks out of the winter here that I would like central heating; then those two weeks past and I forget about it. Unfortunately those two weeks are usually in August and not May/June, where as this year we have had the wettest spring/winter in 10 years I'm told. However the temperatures still haven't been bad.

The coldest I've seen it in Auckland in 10 years was a low of 3C one morning. That's still a lot warmer than a Wichita -24F; of which I remember several.

No ice slicked roads to put up with here; no driveway shoveling; no icy sidewalks. No, I think winter is pretty civilized here.

When we first got here everyone kept talking about getting a Northern exposure home. My brain had a little trouble with that one because it was opposite of Kansas. However, the last two homes we have lived in have and had Northern exposures. This makes a tremendous difference in the winter. In our current house, even if it's pretty cold in the morning, by 9 or 10am it is toasty warm and without heaters. The sun comes in through the deck sliders and warms the place up very nicely, thank you.

All the condensation you're getting tells me your running a portable gas heater. Get rid of that thing. Think about it. That's one device you would not be allowed to run in a home in the good 'ol US of A. It would be illegal. It spews out huge amounts of water and carbon monoxide. We tried one - it's been banished from use. I even tracked the cost and I have to say it wasn't any less expensive than electric and electric doesn't pour water and CO into the air.

Also, airing out the house in the middle of the day - even in the winter - is a pretty Kiwi and nice thing to do anyway. Keeps the place fresh.

Esther's comment about the toilet seat is true and annoying. But if I let her sit on it first in the morning, it's not a problem for me.

But then I grew up on a farm in Iowa and we didn't even have running water - let alone central heating. So if you want to talk cold toilet seats - well I can tell you some stories about those days.

God bless New Zealand. I love this place - even winter. Thank you Lord for bringing me to this place.
Terry B.