Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter food and fun

When I was a kid growing up, we always did "Polish" Easter, with lots of yummy Polish food. Since moving away from home, I haven't yet attempted my own hand at the Polish delicacies - but this year, I decided to give it a go. Maybe being so far away from home has made me a bit desperate for the tastes and smells of the holidays of my childhood. Philosophical reasons aside, I had a desire to go for it, so I did. Here's Great-grandma Lukachovski's poppy seed bread. (Grandma, I know I probably spelled your name wrong. I'm sorry! You'll have to help me out on that one. But seriously, I think you would have been proud of my bread attempt!)
...And Easter wouldn't be Easter without Grandma Warren's pirogis! (a 'dumpling' of sorts, filled with a mashed potato/cheese mixture, boiled, and then fried in butter with onions):


I have yet to find Kilbasa in this city, so I had to suffice for a lamb roast instead.


But the other special dish of the night was the honey carrots and green beans - only because the beans were fresh picked from "Taylor's terrific bean plants" moments before being cooked! Too bad the girl doesn't really like green beans.



What she does like, though, is chocolate! Fortunately for us all, she didn't eat too much yesterday, but we did have lots of fun doing an (indoor) Easter egg hunt with the chocolate eggs - which, amazingly enough, were not eaten for the entire duration of the egg hunt. Which was, by the way, quite a lengthy amount of time. After Taylor found all the eggs, she was very disappointed to find out that there were no more hidden anywhere - until Aunt Nicky suggested that we hide them all again. So we probably had an Easter egg hunt about 6 times. And again today. And no doubt we will again tomorrow. At $7 for 15 chocolate eggs, that's the best money I've spent on entertainment in a long time! And the good news is that there are still 14 1/2 eggs left to hide! Here's some pictures of the fun:












We finished the evening by spending a couple hours with some of the interns and staff around a big bonfire a couple houses over from where we live. It was great fun to sit around with everyone with no other agenda besides talking and being together simply for the sake of being together. The only thing I missed was about 10 bags of American marshmallows to roast. Next time there's a bonfire being planned, I'll need to know about a month in advance so I can put in an order from home! :-)

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Funny you should mention roasted marshmallows in your Easter post. We had an Easter hotdog roast at some friends' house and had roasted marshmallows. I prefer my roasted marshmallows slightly charred. :-)

Russ and Rand wanted to re-hide eggs, too! How funny! Randall even enjoyed helping us hide them and then looking for them. The really funny part was that half the time, he couldn't remember where he had hidden them and it really was still a surprise. :-P

Jaime said...

And, all your foods look delicious! I'm very impressed! :-)

Anonymous said...

Kristi,
You are beautiful and so is your daughter!

xo joanie