Friday, April 20, 2007

Purely Girls! Camp

Camp this week was awesome. What a privilege to be part of an event that was so impactful in the lives of over 70 young ladies; an event in which there were countless genuine encounters with God; an event after which many will never be the same. And as a bonus, it was just as much fun as I expected it to be!
My role at camp was to lead worship, speak for one session, and inbetween it all, be a mom and to take time to get to know the girls and other leaders who were there. Needless to say, it was a busy week and I came home pretty tired! Thank the Lord for Nic coming to help look after Taylor; it would have been impossible for me to do what I did without her help. My session was titled "Dare to be beautiful", so I spoke about beauty being the essence of woman from the moment of her creation; something that exists within each woman, because that's how we were created. Then I talked about the longing present within each woman to possess beauty, and how this desire is holy and to be cultivated - in the right way. The only way to say no to the inferior ways of satisfying this longing is to find a superior pleasure to satisfy (i.e. receiving a revelation that the Lord sees us as beautiful, and because He says so, we are). And finally, exterior beauty is simply the manifestation of this inner reality that cannot help but to be expressed in the natural realm. That's the short version!



And what would camp be without a bit of fun staying up late? At least, that's what Taylor thought!





You may remember from an earlier post that there has been quite a significant interest from the media in the camp. One of the local tv stations ran quite a lengthy segment on the camp this evening in their post-news "in-depth" program. If you're interested in watching the video, click here. It runs less than 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Kristi, that is SO neat! I kept waiting for video footage of the amazing worship leader... but that must have been edited out on accident. :-)

I'd love to read your talk if you wouldn't mind. I love the little tidbit you blogged.

How cool to see God's plan being promoted. :-)

It seems to be getting more and more common for Christian teens to have sex and it's refreshing to see such focus on saving that special time for your spouse. I'll call you when my boys get a little older... :-)

Jaime said...

And, you look beautiful in the picture of you and Taylor! Beautiful!

And I love Taylor's sweet and girly jammies! Every once in a while, something like girly pajamas will make me wish I had a girl... :-)