Saturday, December 09, 2006

Cookie Time

After a good morning at the prayer room, I decided to come home and go ahead with the cookie-making plan. I now have close to 7 dozen sugar cookies to show for it - all sealed away in tupperware containers, waiting to be decorated. Don't ask me who's going to eat them all.

Taylor had lots of fun joining in the project, using the cookie cutters to create all sorts of fun shapes....until her attention span ran out. Nevertheless, it was good mother-daughter bonding time.

And concerning my goal to get in the Christmas spirit? I tried really hard. I even put the Christmas music on.....despite the fact that all those melodies brought back memories of our house in Kansas City and winter Christmases and cold and snow - but I managed to keep on listening - until the CD got to track three, "I'll be home for Christmas", at which point I nearly lost it and turned it off for my sake and everyone else's.

My conclusion on the matter? Nice theory. Didn't work. Enough said.

Let the reader understand.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

We made cookies yesterday, too. It didn't get me in the spirit, either. But, my problem is I'm a bit of a Scrooge, not that I'm far from home and family. :-) Even if it caused tears for you, it was good to do the things you love and that remind you of Christmas. You're creating new traditions for Taylor...even if they include tears.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl..i know just how you feel. I had the last 3 christmas' in the south pacific...and it's just not the same!! I know it's hard! The one thing that finally helped me in the last year was I finally realized that it was just going to be different, but that I could incorporate a few of my favourite Christmas traditions into things, but also try new stuff. Before I was just wanting it to be exactly the same and if it wasn't I was upset! Ya know whatI did this year that totally helped(before we left for America that is)...I put up Christmas decorations, and then I'd pull all the shades, even hung some blankets over the window to make it darker in the early evenings, play Christmas music and it actually would feel a bit like a winter Christmas! :) Have a great one...I guess it's times like these that remind us what Christmas is really about...although I'm with you...white christmas' all the way! Love to you all!

Marci Lewellen said...

i love christmas sugar cookies...

Esther Irwin said...

I led the service at the prison this morning and we sang Christmas carols! How's that for doing something different? I told them my favourite childhood story about going caroling on a Christmas Eve when it snowed these huge snowflakes (about 6 inches of snow, if I remember right). There were 2 guys from Iran, one from India,a couple Somoans, some Maori... they didn't have too much of a concept of snow. But I think they enjoyed the story. These are guys in high security prison, in the division that haven't mainstreamed with the other inmates. They only see a few people a week.

This is our 12th Christmas here and we are pretty seasoned to the seasons by now. We miss our families more at this time, although Easter is a worse time for me than Christmas. We just made new traditions. Fish and chips on the beach; there's nothing like it for Christmas Eve. I'm thankful our family is in good health and we are provided for by a great big God who loves us heaps.