Monday, May 28, 2007

Kiwifruit facts

I apologize for a second day in a row of "random, useless pieces of information" posts. One of these days, I will get back to more substantial, in-depth posting, I promise. I have no explanation for my random-ness recently; it just seems to be the mood of late. So here we go......

Did you know that in New Zealand, the fruit is referred to as "kiwifruit", not "kiwi"? If you refer to eating a kiwi, people will certainly look at you funny, for you would be implying that you are consuming the small, brown, flightless bird which is native to New Zealand.

Did you know that kiwifruit is the most nutrient-dense of all the major fruits?

Did you know that kiwifruit have more vitamin C than oranges and more potassium than bananas?

Did you know that kiwifruit are originally native to China? It wasn't until New Zealand first imported the fruit to the States in 1962 that it was called, "kiwifruit" after the native New Zealand bird.

Good thing for us, kiwifruit are cheap around here these days - only about 38 (US) cents per pound.

'Nuf information for now. G'night!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Wow, I didn't know kiwi (kiwifruit) were so good for you! I'm glad to know. Now I can make my kids eat it and feel good that not only are they getting texture (kiwi has such a weird texture...), but it's good for them, too! :-) If my kids don't eat something regularly, they tend to not want it. Like once blueberry season gets here, it takes them a little while to remember that, oh, yeah, they do like blueberries. :-)