Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A potpourri of un-related thoughts

It is a profound statement of the obvious when I say that I have yet again fallen off the blogging wagon. It may not be so obvious to many of you that this is not the only proverbial wagon I have fallen off. The other two I'm thinking of are namely the "healthy-eating wagon" (apple danish, anyone?) and the "email wagon" (if you are one of the ones who has emailed me and has yet to receive a reply, you will know if which I speak. My apologies). I have come to the conclusion in recent days that of all the, say, 10 things I aim to do on a regular basis (maintain my life in God, maintain relationships both with family and friends, exercise, practice piano, practice voice, keep up on housework, etc. etc. etc. - to name but a few), it is virtually impossible to remain diligent with 100% of them 100% of the time. If any of you out there have figured out how to do this, I beg of you, please leave a comment and tell me how.

Now, for two completely un-related thoughts to give you insight into my musings of the morning.

First, I was pondering the two hours yesterday during which my team and I sang through Revelation 4 at the House of Prayer. It wasn't until the last verse that I was struck with a new understanding - or, perhaps I should say, the blunt realization of my lack of understanding. In Revelation 5, Jesus the Son is declared worthy because He was slain and redeemed mankind to God by His blood. This is logical. (Note that perceiving something as logical is not the same thing as having revelation. In fact, I think that logical things are the hardest to gain revelation about, because we think that we know what it all means, but we really have no idea whatsoever). Anyways, this is why Jesus is declared as worthy in Revelation 5. In Revelation 4, God the Father is declared to be worthy because He created. I mean, this is something I've known and sung about many times, but yesterday for the first time I saw the declaration of the Father's worth alongside the declaration of Jesus' worth, and it just didn't seem so logical to me that being slain and redeeming fallen humans is on the same level as creation when it comes to the reasons for God being worthy. Somehow, in the economy of God, creation is up there with the cross when the elders and living creatures sing of His worthiness. That's pretty stunning. I think (rather, know) that I have a lack of revelation on the magnitude of what it means for God to be the Creator. This also, then, means that evolution is not just a false teaching, but a direct attack against the worthiness of God. Hmmm.

Second thought for the morning - certainly not as profound as the first thought. I opened my window today, and it smelled like an early morning summer's day in Maine. In a moment, memories flooded back to me of family vacations in houses on lakes in the backwoods of Maine - and of course, eating lobster on the docks near the seashore.....need I say more?? Never mind the fact it will be winter when we go home. America, here we come!!

2 comments:

Esther Irwin said...

evolution is not just a false teaching, but a direct attack against the worthiness of God.... That's good. that's really good. I'm with you, I don't think I know the meaning of this verse. But I'd sure like to borrow your quote!

robin k said...

Your sense of smell is alive and well. And you are creating great memories wrapped up in fragrances for Taylor!