Wednesday, July 02, 2008

My new favorite appliance

We've been using one for less than 3 hours, and the one we have now doesn't even belong to us. We've borrowed it from our wonderful neighbors, and already I am convinced that we must invest in one of our own. I actually think that someone somewhere needs to start a campaign to ensure that every household in New Zealand owns one. What is it? The humble dehumidifier.

The first 2 winters I lived in New Zealand, I thought I disliked winter here only because it was cold not only outside, but inside as well. This is true. But a few days ago it dawned on me the other reason why I don't get along so well with New Zealand winter. Not only is it wet outside (which I really don't mind all that much), but it's wet inside, too. The condensation on the windows every morning is enough to make one think that the rain outside managed to find it's way to the inside of every window. And not only that, but the air is damp....which makes it feel all the colder. Cold and damp, cold and damp; it's a vicious cycle.

This fact of life illustrates itself most in our home, unfortunately, in Taylor's room. One half of our house manages to stay pretty warm, but the other half of our house (where Taylor's room is), is seriously 5-10 degrees colder. And I really was starting to have some issues with the injustice that our daughter had to sleep in such less-than-ideal conditions (Nevermind the fact that compared with the majority of the world, she's sleeping in luxury). Anyways, that's how this spoiled American was feeling. Until the de-humidifier arrived on the scene.

Long story short, we're borrowing it tonight from our neighbors who are out of town at the moment, and after running it for less than 3 hours, I'm already amazed at the difference in Taylor's room. It's dramatically warmer than it usually is, and the air noticably drier, which makes for a much, much better sleeping environment. I'm already sad at the thought of returning it to it's rightful home tomorrow. Trade-me, (NZ version of E-bay), here we come!!

3 comments:

Isabel said...

Hi Kristi,
I put a little electric heater into Shayden's room (on low).
Even though it costs, so does central heating in other countries like the US or Germany...
Another option:)
Got to catch up sometime,
love,
isabel

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like a dehumidifier. I'm glad you've caught on....It will save you a hell of a lot of cleaning mould too. J&M

Joshua and Misty Cole said...

Hey Kristi - Welcome to our world. Dehumidifiers are great. Ours keeps our cottage lovely. They are a must have. Our power bill has not been bad either.