Saturday, July 12, 2008

Random thoughts

  • Once again, I find myself burning the midnight oil. Quite literally. I must stop this if I have any hope of getting decent sleep.
  • The All-Blacks played a fantastic game tonight, unfortunately losing to South Africa in the last minutes of the game ~ by only 2 points. Even I watched the second half of the game tonight, and was admittedly getting into it. Surely this is a sign of the times.
  • My new favorite recipe at the moment is for chicken pot-pie. Nothing like great winter comfort food.
  • My two new cooking ventures for the week are corn chowder (Served with American biscuits on the side. Now, for my Kiwi readers who may need a definition of what a biscuit is, or for those who may be a bit confused as to difference between a biscuit and a scone, click here for a thorough explanation). My second new cooking venture of the week is curry (made with curry paste and coconut milk and chicken and a bunch of veggies, all served over rice. Yum!). Nevermind the fact that I really don't have a recipe I'm following for that one, more like a few helpful hints from friends and lots of experimenting and 'a pinch of this and a pinch of that'.
  • Speaking of experimenting, I invented a swiss chard-roasted pepper-garlic-parmesan-orzo dish the other day. I decided I love experimenting in the kitchen; it's a great creative outlet.
  • 'Nuff said for now. Time for bed.

4 comments:

Steve Wanless said...

Hi! Can you post your recipe for the chicken pot pie? I've always wanted to make one, it's a bit hot now, but I'd love to make it once fall comes around....ooohhhh...American Fall...doesn't the thought just make you feel warm and fuzzy inside???? Trena

Kristi Walsh said...

Hi Trena! I've added the link for the recipe; it's a keeper! I did make some changes, though, when I made mine: First, I used leftover chicken from a roast I made earlier in the week, so I just added the diced chicken to the veggies after they were cooked. I added chicken bouillion to the water I cooked the veggies in, and then saved this water to use in the sauce ~ it's loaded with flavor! Also added potatoes and mushrooms, but didn't boil the mushrooms or the peas; just added them with the chicken to the cooked veggie mixture. Finally, didn't have any celery seed, so I just added a bit of garlic powder to the sauce instead. In Taylor's words, it was dee-licious! :-) Hope that helps....

Kristi Walsh said...

Oh, and as for American Fall, I can't wait to see your photos of the gorgeous leaves and hear your stories of going apple picking and pumpking picking and going on hay rides and eating cozy American comfort food and being warm and cozy inside when it's freezing outside, all that good stuff of Fall.....Your boys are going to have so much fun!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Thanks so much! I will definitely give it a try!!!!