Sunday, August 03, 2008

For all the American pecan-pie lovers in Tauranga...

...We can now make it, because Bethlehem Countdown now sells corn syrup! Miracle of all miracles! I'm actually not a huge fan of corn syrup, simply because it's so bad for you, but every now and then I come across a recipe that calls for it that I would love to make regardless. Unfortunately, though, corn syrup was no where to be found anywhere in New Zealand. Not anymore! I found it yesterday by accident when I was looking for something else. It's called "Glucose syrup, derived from corn"; it's in the baking aisle, on the same shelf with all the extracts, to be exact.

There's a certain amount of comfort found in the fact that the corn syrup is there on the shelf in the grocery store up the road, available to buy, just in case someday I decide that I want it. Never mind the fact that I rarely use it. (There's a commentary on the consumerism-driven American psyche for you.)

Happy baking!

3 comments:

Steve Wanless said...

Hey! Now you can try making marshmallows!!! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html
There's the link to the recipe! Give it a try, I think I will this winter to have in hot chocolate!! :) Trena

Kristi Walsh said...

Ya know, Trena, I was actually thinking about that when I found it! Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out and give it a try.

Esther Irwin said...

you could sell whipped marshmellows for the rest of us Americans in Kiwiland. I haven't made fudge for a long time. (not that i need to eat it...enuf said)