Thursday, October 02, 2008

Parenting in the 21st Century

To be the mother of a 4-yr. old is to at times bear the expectation of being a walking encyclopedia. Fortunately, for the mothers of the 21st century, Wikipedia comes to the rescue, faithfully every time. Today's question? The surface temperature of Pluto. Not kidding. So to Wikipedia we go, in search of pictures and the answer to the thousand dollar question. After locating the Kelvin-Celsius converter (courtesy of Google), I finally discovered that the average temperature on Pluto is approx. -229*C. Nevermind the fact that this means nothing to Taylor except that it's too cold to wear short sleeves and a skirt without tights outside. By only a few degrees, I'm sure. But our mini-science lesson was only beginning at that point; after that we discovered pictures of the other planets, the structure of our solar system, the phases of the moon, and finally I gave a brief explanation of the seasons and an illustration for why the northern and southern hemispheres have opposite seasons (using her ball as the earth, and my Pumpkin Pie Yankee Candle as the sun).

How in the world did our parents survive before the internet??

3 comments:

Steve Wanless said...

I often think about how it was before the internet, even when we were teenagers, it wasn't really big yet...I guess we used to just be satisfied saying "I wonder why...." but now a days, we don't just sit in wonder, we run to the computer and 'google it'. :) Whatever did we do before...there was always the big encyclopedia books...but they weren't nearly as cool as google. Hope you are doing well! Trena

Anonymous said...

Do you really want to know? Do you want the real answer or the answer that sounds cooler but, well ...
or perhaps I should ask the same question of my parents. Now that could be more interesting. In fact, when she comes to visit next week I just may ask her.
Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I forgot to add that home schooling beats out anything else any time all the time. Go Mom!!