Sunday, February 04, 2007

Bagels, bagels, bagels.

I made some today. Not once....but twice. The first batch (only 6 bagels, mind you) disappeared before I had time to turn around, so I decided that I'd give it a go again. Seeing as how the bread machine does most of the hard work, it wasn't such a hard proposition. I made both plain and cinnamon raisin the first time. For my second go around, I decided it was time to try to reproduce a childhood favorite. For those of you reading this blog who are from my hometown and have lived there for the last several years (that is, if there are any of you....) - you will remember the landmark bakery, Lender's (which, regrettably, no longer exists). I remember going in there as a kid to buy bagels with my dad. There were always so many yummy kinds to choose from, but the best one hands down was their apple 'n spice. Now let me stop for a minute and explain that there is a big difference between the frozen made-in-a-factory Lender's bagels and the fresh made-in-a-bakery Lender's bagels. Big difference. Not even comparable. So if you have the small-frozen-skinny-already-sliced-bagel in mind, let me encourage you to take your imagination about 10 levels higher. Anyways, these were the best bagels imaginable, and I've never been able to find anything close ever since. Not even Einstein's or Panera compares. So, all that to say, I'm on a quest to reproduce (as closely as I can) the highly esteemed apple 'n spice bagel. I'm sure you'll hear about it if (rather, when) I succeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pictures,pictures, where are those promised photos?

It is understood that in order to snap a shot of a phenemonon that lasts only a few seconds, one must make prior arrangements to have a camera at hand, an empty plate on which to place said subject, and a willingness to enforce temporary "no trespasing" restrictions.

Also, can you please document with photo evidence how a bread maker makes a nice semi-symmetrical ring with a center hole in 6 separate shapes that bake golden brown all over?