Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Taylor's new pastime

Those of who know me will laugh when I tell you that I'm trying my hand at gardening. Actually, I prefer to think of it as "helping Taylor grow beans for the purpose of an educational opportunity" while at the same time trying my hand at tomatoes and basil. Sounds a bit less intimidating; a bit more like something I'm doing for Taylor's sake rather than doing it to prove to myself (or to anyone else, for that matter) that I can actually grow a plant without killing it.

So how did this all come to be? When Andy and Bek moved in, they brought with them some seedlings that Andy had started growing at their previous house, with the thought in mind that the landlord might let them dig up a little spot of dirt and have a small veggie garden. What he didn't know was that there was a large un-used greenhouse on our property. And that he was welcome to use as much of it as he wanted. I mean, come on...how many people have a greenhouse just sitting in their back yard? So the greenhouse has now been cleaned out and the ground dug up, and Andy's plants are flourishing beautifully. Then Nic started eyeing the progress, and thought she might get in on the action. Meanwhile, Taylor was enjoying walking over (daily) and faithfully checking the progress of the vegetable's growth, and also watering all the plants with her new watering can. We then decided it would be fun for her to have some plants of her own to look after. Then I began thinking how nice it would be to have some homegrown tomatoes......and I guess the rest is history. We went to the garden shop today and bought green bean seeds and tomato plants. I also bought basil seeds, but am thinking about scraping that idea and starting from the little plants. I don't know that I have the patience (or ability) to grow those things from seeds. So, we'll see how long I can keep those tomatoes alive, and whether I can manage to see them through to the fruit-bearing stage. Only time will tell. Meanwhile, here are some pictures for your enjoyment:










2 comments:

Esther Irwin said...

Um, I'm guessing that you only planted beans b/c the season for growing tomatoes is now over until next spring? Lettuce is great to grow anytime in NZ and wonderful to just go out in the garden and pick right before eating it. Peas would be good to start now, too. Samantha used to call those God's candy b/c they were so sweet to eat out of the pod.

Jaime said...

What a cute little dwarf bean you have there. :-) Fun pictures! I've been thinking about actually trying my hand at gardening this next year... Maybe... Hmmm, I don't know... It is intimidating... :-)