Sunday, September 30, 2007

First Earthquake

Apparently there was an earthquake last night - 4.7 on the Richter scale - but I didn't feel a thing. Slept through it all. Part of me is glad ~ I've never been in an earthquake before, and I'm not necessarily looking forward to feeling that sensation for the first time. But on the other hand, because I have never been in an earthquake before, there is a strange intrigue and curiosity that has got part of me looking forward to the very experience that I'm not looking forward to. Sounds a bit schizophrenic, I know. Seeing as how this is the first earthquake that Tauranga has had since we've moved here, I might be waiting quite a while until the next one, though Aaron (a self-appointed seismologist these days) thinks we're due for a big one sometime soon. Who would know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Earthquakes are pretty cool, (that is of course except for the kind that cause damage), but the fairly little ones are cool. I've felt a few since moving to NZ! It's just a funny feeling where the house shakes a little, actually not that much more strange than when a big thunder boom hits. :) I actually think I felt one a couple weeks ago, either that or my house had a mini seizure. :) In saying all that, I'm very happy to never experience a big one!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Steve read my comment and said I should have described them like a big truck driving by your house, or a train going by. That's probably a good example!