Monday, September 10, 2007

Pavlova.

Yesterday, for the first time, I made a pavlova from scratch. Some would say that this is something every Kiwi woman eventually must learn how to do. I've been a bit too wimpy to give it a try these last 18 months (they really can be a bit tricky, and do require certain technique to get them to turn out right). But yesterday I decided to take the challenge and go for it. It was actually Taylor's idea. We were walking through the grocery store on Saturday and I asked her what I should make for dessert on Monday when we had friends coming over. Her answer? A pavlova. I actually thought it was quite a brilliant suggestion, especially seeing as how I got my resident visa/permit last week (yeah!), and there was no longer delaying that fact that I, too, must gain my initiation into Kiwi womanhood. Now, for my American readers who are completely lost by this point, totally unaware of what the heck a pavlova is, let me explain. (I didn't know what one was, either, until I married into a Kiwi family). It's a meringue-type dessert, topped with whipped cream and usually some sort of fruit. It's usually about the size of a dinner plate, preferably quite tall, and the best ones are crispy on the outside and soft and spongy on the inside. They really are quite divine, especially with lots of fruit.

I am pleased to say that my pavlova-making attempt was a grand success, and I am eagerly awaiting my next opportunity to make one, so that I can work on perfecting the technique further. Hopefully next time I'll have a photo to post, too!

2 comments:

Esther Irwin said...

Good on you, Kristi!! I was told I had to live here at LEAST 6 months before I could try to make a pav. Now I make them pretty good. At least that's what my family thinks and that's the important opinion. I'm often surprised at the Kiwi woman who have never made a pav. They say, I can't be bothered, I'll buy one at the store.

Don't forget the Flake on top of the whipped cream. Fresh passionfruit drizzled on top is really good, too. I made a coloured one just once. Terry wouldn't eat it. Maybe b/c it was pink, don't know!!

Now, the real challenge is making one in the States! I have done that a couple of times, but you have to use farm eggs, not the ones sold in the stores. The sugar isn't as fine in the States so you have to beat it a few minutes longer. And they don't have Flake. :)

Anonymous said...

Does that mean I'm not an accomplished kiwi woman in that I've never made a pavlova?

I helped one of the other kiwis make one when I was in KC... but she did all the work...