Saturday, June 02, 2007

All Blacks

The religion of rugby is once again alive and well in New Zealand. The All-Blacks played their first game tonight, capturing a decisive 42-11 victory over France. I, for one, am very glad that they won. Not because I care anything about the game, but, well, let's just say that an All Blacks win makes for a happy atmosphere in the home. :-)

I am still shocked at what a part of the culture rugby is down here. I guess it's comparable to college and high school football in Texas. It's just part of life. People down here love their rugby.

Things are really going to heat up 'round here when the world cup starts later on this year. New Zealand should win - but then again, they should have won each world cup in the last 20 years, but choked every time. I think that if they lose, the nation will go into a prolonged state of mourning and depression - my husband included. Please; let's not allow this to happen.

1 comment:

Esther Irwin said...

And Helen says we don't have an official religion in New Zealand...