Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sabbath rest

I knew it was going to be a good day when I woke up and my clock said it was 9:00. Thanks to my wonderful husband and sister-in-law who entertained Taylor and didn't let her wake me up, I had a massive sleep-in this morning. I can't remember the last time I did that, and it sure did feel good. The rest of the day was much of the same - pretty lazy and relaxed - just what we all needed. I've tried to make it a point recently to be diligent to maintain a day of rest in my week; ya know, one of those days when I don't have to feel guilty about lying down on the couch to read a magazine instead of tackling all the hundred other things that need to be done. It's amazing what a discipline this in fact is - especially the not feeling guilty part. It's way easier said than done. I remember a few years back, someone who I love and respect greatly gently rebuked someone, saying, "Don't defile the sabbath!". How easy it is to let the value and necessity of the sabbath slip by. It seems like I always have so much to do, so many things to get done, and in my limited understanding it feels like a waste to take a whole day to accomplish none of it. But, hey, if God Himself rested after 6 days of creation, how much more do we finite mortals need a day of rest, too? It would do me good to take my cues off Him.

1 comment:

ariki said...

Hi Kristi, I've jsut realised my e-mails to you keep bouncing for some reason. I'll give you a ring as soon as we have some dates sorted - just organising with people and work and things. Have a great week! xox