Tuesday, June 12, 2007

All Peanut Butter Is Not Created Equal

My conclusion on the matter is that Americans love their peanut butter and know how to make it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but New Zealand peanut butter doesn't hold a candle to the American stuff. There are 3 choices when it comes to peanut butter here:
  • Choice #1 - Imagine Skippy or Jiff without the suger. Peanut butter + vegetable oil, with no sugar. It's pretty nasty. If the peanut butter is unfortunate enough to have vegetable oil added to it, it deserves having sugar added to it as well.
  • Choice #2 - There are one or two brands that are almost exactly like Skippy or Jiff.
  • Choice #3 - Organic natural peanut butter. For a girl who has always been a natural-peanut-butter-type-girl, this would be the obvious choice. However, there is a slight problem. This peanut butter tastes nothing like the American natural peanut butter. Now, don't ask me how it's possible come up with two completely different versions of two basic ingredients (peanuts + salt), but it is possible. Believe me. They taste nothing alike.

So, I have to confess that I have (temporarily) turned into a Jiff/Skippy peanut butter girl (Sorry, Dad!). It's just too strange to me to be eating the natural stuff when it doesn't taste like natural peanut butter should. Maybe someday I'll live in America again and I can revert back to my roots of being a natural-peanut-butter-type-girl. Or, you all can send me boxes full of it. I'd go for that idea any day. Thanks to a shipment of goodies from back home, I do have a precious jar of Smucker's Natural sitting in our pantry right now.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, anyone?

3 comments:

ariki said...

Isn't it funny? I don't even think I have ever tasted the difference in different peanut butters....or lots of different things for that matter....I think Kiwis have (or tend to have) more bland taste buds that will eat most things even if they're bad! Maybe we really are meant to be missionaries! Heh! Anyway, glad you've got some nice stuff in your pantry. I'll give you a call soon - there's a bunch of people from Lifeway keen to come down so if we could spare some of your time or even just bring them to the THOP that would be cool....catch up soon...love 2 ur awesome family xox

Esther Irwin said...

I used to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the school tuck shop and the kids would go...ewww... b/c jelly here isn't called jelly - it's called jam! Jelly is like Jello in America and they just couldn't envision Jello with peanut butter on bread. Frankly, neither can I. Put some Vegemite on that peanut butter sammie and it might help your taste buds. :)

Anonymous said...

You used to laugh at my shrine of Jack Stack now I think you have a better understanding of how I feel about my Jack Stack shrine. You want to save it for as long as you can. It becomes your "precious". Once we have found something that tastes so good like peanut butter or in my case Jack Stack when we don't have it for a while we love it all the more. You fed into my addiction I guess I'll have to do the same. Thanks for the phone call.