Saturday, May 06, 2006

To expound on the previous post...

We were awoken at 5:55am Thursday morning by a phone call from a very concerned family member who was worried that we were about to be washed away in a tsunami. Apparently on Wednesday night, there was a rather large earthquake off the coast of Tonga, which prompted tsunami warnings for many of the Pacific Islands, as well as the northeast coast of the north island of New Zealand. That's us.

Obviously, there was no tsunami and we didn't get washed away. That's a fortunate thing. But it really does get one wondering. I must admit that I have been rather convinced for a long time that there will be a tsunami coming to NZ. Whether this is my pessimistic, worse-case-scenario side of me coming out, or whether it's simply doing the math that we live on the rim of fire, and earthquakes and such are not un-likely 'round these parts of the world, or whether it's doing the math that apocalyptic judgments are most certainly coming to the earth....well, who knows. But being half-awake, half-asleep at 5:55am the other day, for a few moments, I did wonder, "Is this that?"

The whole ordeal has prompted quite a few conversations amongst people and on the media - is New Zealand prepared to handle such a catastrophe? Where would you go if......? How far do you live from the beach? Good questions, to be sure. Although, I believe further questions must follow. Am I prepared in my heart for the flood - or should I say, the collision of righteousness and evil - coming to planet earth? Will I run to Him or from Him in that hour? Have I built my life on the rock, or on the sand? Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah, so it will be in the days of the Son of Man.

One thing I know for sure, it's time to build an ark......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Graeme Walsh, International Civil Defense Coordinator based in Kansas City for the wake up call. Job well done Darcy - you haven't lost your touch!! Muriel