Wednesday, May 03, 2006

What I know now that I wish I knew (and appreciated) then...about America.

First of all, everything is cheap, even things we think are expensive. From groceries to gasoline. Yes, even gasoline. 'Round these parts of the world, we pay NZ $1.70 a litre - that's NZ $6.42 a gallon.

Second of all, we have a lot. Even when it seems we have nothing. If I can see this while living in another prosperous Western nation after only 3 months, I can only imagine how the differences would be magnified when one compares America to the majority of the world living in poverty.

Third, competition in the world of enterprise is a good thing. And a massive blessing. When there's no competetion, the price of services (i.e. cell phones and internet) rise. Dramatically. It's cheaper for me to call America than it is for me to call my husband across town on his cell phone. Like, over $1 per minute cheaper.

Granted, there are a lot of negative things about America. This is true. I just wish that while I lived there, I had eyes to see and appreciate all the positive things - yea, luxuries - that are just a part of normal, everyday life.

No comments: