Sunday, October 29, 2006

October in New Zealand

One of the things I like about October in New Zealand is that the weather is almost like October in America......can't say that about many other months here, but in many ways, October feels like what October is "supposed to" feel like. I'm realizing again what I always knew to be true about myself - I love the seasons. I love what each month (and therefore, it's respective season) feels like and represents. And so it's been pretty disheartening living in opposite seasons. Don't even get me started about the holidays being in summer.....sigh......

But anyways, it was cold, wet, and rainy today, so how did I spend my Sunday afternoon? Doing exactly what I would have done on a cold, wet, rainy October Sunday afternoon in America - baking. Pumpkin bread, for that matter. Very fitting for October. I also bought ingredients at the store today to make pumpkin cheesecake bars (your recipe looked great, Jaime! Want to give that one a try.) I think it's engrained deep into my subconscious that October means fall baking which means pumpkins. Good thing we still have 7 cans of pumpkin - imported from America - on our pantry shelf.

Nevermind the fact that it really is spring.

2 comments:

Esther Irwin said...

We didn't find it too hard to have fish and chips on the beach for Christmas Eve. But we aren't winter people and I know you are. I would have spring and summer, then spring and then summer if it were up to me. Good thing God is God. :)

Jaime said...

How'd the pumpkin cheesecake bars turn out? I made them a few days after I posted the recipe and they turned out just as good as I remembered! I made a 9x13 and Slade took the leftovers to work. They were gone in an hour. Mmmmm!