Thursday, August 30, 2007

Out and About

It's been another fun day in the Oxford area. After another visit to Ashley Gorge this morning with Taylor while Aaron was teaching class, we all headed out for lunch together at Seagars Cafe, a local cafe opened about a year ago by a well-known TV celebrity chef, Jo Segar. I've never heard of her, either, before going to the cafe, but rumor has it that her TV show airs on the New Zealand cooking channel on Saturday nights. After a terrific lunch, I was pleasantly surprised to find something that I'd been looking for for a long time in the little shop ajoining the cafe. Actually, to be honest, the helpful clerk found it for me in a box out back - it had just arrived and hadn't even made it out into the store yet. Anyways, it's a 2-teir plate stand; been looking for one for a while now and haven't been able to find it anywhere. I'm very excited about my latest addition to my entertaining collection!

If that wasn't enough excitement for the day, a friend of mine from Christchurch came over this afternoon, and took Taylor and I for a little drive into Rangiora - a quite large town compared to Oxford (but then again, I suppose any town is large compared to Oxford!) - located just about 20 minutes or so up the road. We walked around town for a bit and browsed in a few shops, and then stopped for dinner at a great cafe. It was nice to see a bit more of the area and get a feel for what it's like in the Canterbury region. When driving back to Oxford, I made quite the profound statement of the obvious for the night. "It kinda feels like we're in the middle of no-where out here." To which Kate kindly replied, "That's because we are in the middle of no-where out here!". It's pretty desolate and remote out here, to say the least.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like YWAM Oxford... its definitely got the family thing going on base - and the homestead is awesome. I was there like 5 years ago for outreach training one summer, and we loved to mock Oxford, where tractors drive down the street. It's good though.