Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Slow-paced, small-town life

Oxford is small-town New Zealand at it's best. It actually reminds me quite a lot of small-town America. If it weren't for all the cars driving along on the other side of the road, we could easily be in the middle of Oklahoma somewhere. Many times a day I have to remind myself that we're not.

Small towns are always an eginma to me. Every time I'm in one, I wonder what it would be like to live in a place like this. Part of me thinks that after a week or a month I'd go crazy, board from the lack of shopping and restaurants and activity and variety. Another part of me thinks that the simplicity of life and slower pace would be good for the soul.

Taylor and I have been keeping ourselves busy during Aaron's class time. Today we went over to the YWAM base to jump on their trampoline, then we went to the park and for a little wander around the grocery store (which is, by the way, not much bigger than a large 7-eleven. Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get the point. It's small.). Afternoons and evenings have generally been quiet; catching up on some projects I brought with me from home, and even getting in some reading time. Good times.

By the way, if you have a few minutes, check out the YWAM website by clicking on the above link to see some pictures of where we are. It really is beautiful!

No comments: